Kevin Spacey will be charged with a felony following an accusation of sexual assault made public last year, the authorities in Nantucket said on Monday.
The charge, first reported by The Boston Globe, is in connection with an accusation of misconduct that was made by a former television anchor, Heather Unruh, who said that Mr. Spacey sexually assaulted her 18-year-old son in July 2016 at a bar in Nantucket.
Michael O’Keefe, the Cape and Islands district attorney in Massachusetts, said in a statement that Mr. Spacey would be arraigned on Jan. 7 for one charge of indecent assault and battery, the first criminal charge levied against him as a result of sexual misconduct allegations. The statement also said there was a public show cause hearing in Nantucket District Court last Thursday, after which Clerk Magistrate Brian Kearney issued the criminal complaint.
A representative for Mr. Spacey did not respond to a request for comment. But the actor has apologized for one incident and denied at least one other accusation of wrongdoing.
Soon after the Globe report was published on Monday, a video was posted on Mr. Spacey’s Twitter account. In the roughly three-minute clip, called “Let Me Be Frank” (a likely reference to Frank Underwood, the character he played on the Netflix show “House of Cards”), Mr. Spacey gives a monologue while wearing an apron and working in the kitchen.
“I know what you want,” Mr. Spacey says with a deep Southern accent, staring straight at the camera. “Oh sure, they may have tried to separate us, but what we have is too strong. It’s